I came across the most devastating, authoritative, and substantive critique of the TSA I’ve ever seen. I’ve cropped the intro and last paragraph to wet your appetite, but you must read the whole thing:
"For 25 years, as many of readers know, I was an FBI Special Agent, and for many of those years, I was a counter-terrorism specialist. I ran the Los Angeles Joint Terrorism Task Force (JTTF) Al Qaeda squad.
As a SWAT Agent, I was fully trained to interdict hijackings. I have trained countless hours on actual airliners, learned to shoot surgically inside the airliner “tube,” silently approach the aircraft and breach exterior doors quickly. I was also trained to shoot from airline seats in case I was aboard a hijacked flight, and for 25 years I traveled armed on airliners, meeting with Air Marshals prior to each flight.
I have dealt with TSA since its inception and FAA security prior to that. I have witnessed TSA operate since they became a separate organization in 2002 and seen their reaction to intelligence provided them. I have now watched them operate for a decade, and I have respect for their hard-working employees who are doing a thankless job. But I have come to the conclusion that TSA is one of the worst-run, ineffective and most unnecessarily intrusive agencies in the United States government."
Some other links on the TSA:
- Economics professor Art Carden in Forbes discussing the economics behind the TSA and the lack of safety it offers: http://www.forbes.com/sites/artcarden/2010/11/14/full-frontal-nudity-doesnt-make-us-safer-abolish-the-tsa/
- Part 2: http://www.forbes.com/sites/artcarden/2010/11/23/economics-versus-the-tsa/
- The CATO Institute calls for an end to the DHS and the de-humanizing effects of the “Un-American TSA”.
- The Wall Street Journal notes the TSA is a terrorist organization.
- More economic analysis reveals that the TSA does not make us any safer.
- Huffington Post notes the failure of the Obama Administration and Democratic Party to oppose the ineffective TSA as they did under Bush.
- ForeignPolicy.com notes the DHS has not made us safer and suggests it should be broken up.
- Statement from the Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics faculty at UCSF on their concerns over the safety of the new airport scanner machines.
- A Vanity Fair in-depth report reveals that “all those security measures accomplish nothing, at enormous cost”, according to one of America’s top security experts.
- Forbes.com declares it is “Time to Close the Security Theater” and abolish the TSA.
- Excellent piece by Salon.com on the cost of America's police state.